This video essay was created in partnership with Korean Film Festival in Australia (KOFFIA). The 2021 edition of the festival will be take place in various Australian cities from September 16 – October 23. Festival dates are subject to change. For more information, visit the festival website.
Hong Kyung-Pyo is one South Korea’s most recognised cinematographers, lensing a number of hallmark Korean films over the past 20 years.
To celebrate his cinematography work on action blockbuster Deliver Us From Evil (screening at Korean Film Festival in Australia 2021), we explore three aspects of Hong’s signature style—colour, silhouette and camera movement—and discuss how these come together to give greater dimension to the stories, characters and mood behind some of his most prolific work!
English language captions available.
Brooke Heinz & Hieu Chau
Films Used (in order of appearance):
- Burning (2018)
- The Wailing (2016)
- Mother (2009)
- Deliver Us From Evil (2020)
- Sea Fog (2014)
- Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War (2004)
- Actresses (2009)
- Always (2011)
- The Foul King (2000)
- Parasite (2019)
- Save the Green Planet! (2003)
- Snowpiercer (2013)
- Dance – Lee Byung-woo(Mother OST)
- Preparation – Marco Beltrami (Snowpiercer OST)
- Void – Mowg (Burning OST)
- Miles Davis – Generique (Burning OST)
- The Belt of Faith – Jung Jae-il (Parasite OST)
- Behind-the-Scenes: The Wailing (20th Century Studios Korea, YouTube)
- Behind-the-Scenes: Snowpiercer (CJ ENM, YouTube)
- Mother (2009) – Making Documentary (randomStuff, YouTube)
- Burning – Production Video (HanCinema)
- Behind-the-Scenes: Parasite (CJ Entertainment Official, YouTube)